Roles, Functions and Tasks
The TNI acts as a state defense instrument which carries out its duties based on national policy and state political decisions
(1) TNI as a means of state defense, functioning as;
a. A countermeasure to any form of military threats either domestic or foreign matters which harms the sovereignty, territorial integrity, and national security;
b. An enforcement against any form of threats referred to in point 1, letter a; and
c. A rejuvenation of the national security conditions due to insurgency
(2) In executing the functions referred to point number one, TNI is the main component of the state defence system.
(1) The main tasks of the TNI are to safeguard the state sovereignty, to maintain the unity of the territory of the Unitary State of the Republic of Indonesia based on Pancasila and the 1945 Constitution of the Republic of Indonesia, and to protect all Indonesian citizens from any threats.
(2) The main tasks as referred to point one shall be conducted by:
a. Military Operations for War;
b. Military Operations Other Than War, such as:
- Overcoming armed separatist movements;
- Overcoming armed insurgency;
- Securing state border areas;
- Securing national strategic vital objects;
- Participating in the world peace mission in accordance with state foreign policy;
- Safeguarding the President, Vice President and their family;
- Empowering the precautionary defence areas and its supporting forces in accordance with the total defence system;
- Assisting regional governments tasks;
- Assisting the National Police in the framework of public security and public orders stipulated in the laws;
- Safeguarding the state guests at a level of the head of state or foreign official representatives residing in Indonesia;
- Mitigating natural disasters: Undertaking evacuation and humanitarian assistance;
- Conducting search and rescue; and
- Assisting the government in safeguarding shipping and aviation against hijacking, piracy, and smuggling.
(3) The provisions referred to point 2 shall be conducted on the basis of policies and political decisions of the state.